Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Bra shopping is like a slap in the face!!!



Yesterday I went shopping for a bridal bra/bustier to wear under my wedding dress. I went to a few different places to compare the fit/cost. I usually wear a size 32B (small, I know) but every sales lady I went to put me up in a Acup (like I wanted to feel any smaller) ….. it was like a slap in the face. Its ok, I gave them a slap back when it didn’t fit as well as the B cup dose. I can squeeze into an Acup if I wanted to make the girls pop out a little more, but this was for my wedding day so I wanted to be more comfortable and tasteful.

I think the worst part was of the whole day was when I went to this little bridal shop at the local mall. There were only two ladies in the shop, the owner said hello to me when I came in and then sat at the computer the rest of my time there. The other lady was just an employee, middle age, nice, quiet, but she didn’t look like she takes good care of herself, she had messy hair and yellow teeth. Keep in mind that I got this all within the first five minutes of knowing her.

A few minutes later she had already seen and help me put on 3 different bustier, so I guess we got a little comfortable with each other and we started some small talk. She asked me where I went to school, I told her, she said “oh that’s where I went”. Then she asked me what my major is, I told her biology, and on her way out the dressing room, she said while laughing “oh, ha ha ha, that was my major too”, and she shut the door.  It was like the biggest slap in the face I had in a long time. I stood there in stock for about 5 seconds, scenes of what my future would be like if I could not get a job related to my major. I am about to graduate in 2 ½ months and I have no idea what to do with myself. In 2 ½ months from now I would become a real adult, one that has to get a job, make money and all in a way that doesn’t make my degree look like a waste of time and money.

Every person I know that was a biology major has become doctors, pharmacists or went on to get their Ph. D and became a professor. All my bio-major classmates now are all telling me that they plan to do the same things with their degree. I always feel like I am the only bio major that doesn’t plan to go to a grad school after graduation. My professors and classmates always tell me not to worry and that people with my degree still get good well paying job. But I never saw one in real life. Here in this small little bridal shop, standing in a bra, there was a picture of what my future could look like. Would I become a sales woman in the mall? What’s the different between her working in the mall from a teen working in the mall as a summer job? I know for sure that not all of the students who apply for medical school get in to medical school, but they all do have a 4.0 GPA or close to it. I don’t have anywhere near a 4.0! So if those kids a going after the same jobs I do, they would totally get it! Is that what happened to the sales woman? Or did she choose to work here? At the end of the 5 seconds of stock, I calmed down a little, but I was so scared of what my future would be like…

Bra shopping is rough enough on a girl, why did this have to happen too.

At the end of the day, all the shops were way too expensive. I took pictures of the tags which had the brand written on it, and I went home and got a bustier online for almost half the price.       

No comments:

Post a Comment